Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Tuesdays with Dr. B

After a long morning of chemo, I still had to go downtown to have my post-op appointment with Dr. Boutros.  
It was a busy day at the office, and there ended up being a little breast cancer pow-wow.  5 patients of Dr. Naqvi and Dr. Pollack, who knew each other from the breast cancer support group, were all discussing stories, diagnoses, and surgery options.  I got in on the conversation, too.  It was nice to see different stages of the process and to hear different experiences.  

The nurses and Dr. B were both very happy with my shape and progress.  However, I was still very swollen, a little warm, and pink.  My drains were still not ready to come out, and there was a concern of developing an infection.  

They sent me off with a new prescription for an antibiotic and another appointment for next Tuesday.  I have these tentacles in for another week.  :(

When I got home, Walgreens called to inform me that the new prescription had penicillin in it.  I'm allergic, and it was too late to call the office for a change.  Really?? ARGGGG! 


I also met with someone about the financial side of things.  Of course, I broke down and cried over the stress of all of it.  Along with my regular high deductible health insurance, there is an additional $12,000 deductible for out-of-network services, which this reconstrucion is.  My major concerns were: Dr. B's services are not going to be completed in this calendar year, so am I going to wrack up ANOTHER 12 grand to finish these nipples that were SUPPOSED to be done last Friday?  And, how much are they expecting me to pay a month because I was asked to set up a payment plan.  Some people in that office might have an extra $1,000 a month to apply to medical services, but we do not.  Hopefully, they are going to work with us.  It still doesn't mean they can waive it all, but we will see what can be done and for now, we can pay whatever we can pay, as long as we are playing something every month.  I feel much better having spoken face-to-face about the concerns and stresses of the financial side, so I can get on with the healing.  

If someone could just fill me in on what I'm supposed to learn from all of this, I'd REALLY appreciate it!!!

                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. There is no easy thing about finances. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete