Tuesday, January 14, 2014

New Year--New Schedule

I WON'T be going to chemo today.

After weighing my options---including just being done altogether---I've decided to make a change.  On the last chemo of 2013, I actually talked to Dr. Naqvi about just calling it quits. 

"What's the big deal if I just call this my last chemo?" I asked her.
"Not an option," she replied immediately.
"But, I've finished more than half, and I don't even have breasts anymore.  Do I REALLY need to finish Herceptin?"
"Quitting is not an option.  Patients who don't complete the entire cycle have a much higher risk of cancer returning.  It almost always does.  And, it's always Stage 4.  And, it's usually in the brain.  So, you can see that quitting is just not an option.  In fact, now there is actually an additional drug we give patients with your type of chemo.  If I had my way, I would add even MORE onto your treatment plan, but there hasn't been enough testing done for cases like yours when the drugs are not administered at the same initial start time.  So, be glad you ONLY have Herceptin to finish."

"Oh, alright.  I'll be here next week."

At last week's appointment, a possible solution was offered.  Instead of coming every week, which is getting tiring and more and more difficult for making all the arrangements, I've now switched over to going only once every 2 weeks, but receiving a double dose of chemo.  I'll be a little more tired on those days, but I'll have a WHOLE WEEK in the middle with NO CHEMO!  The extra time {and money} this option has presented me is quite freeing.  It's also much easier, mentally, to finish.  Instead of 16 more rounds, I now only have 8.  EIGHT!  I can count the number of times I have to sit in that chemo chair on my fingers.  {It will still take 16 weeks, but I only have to make EIGHT more trips!!!!}

Excuse me, but I'm off to take TWO of my children to school, run errands, do a little shopping, and possibly even have time to make a chemo countdown chain, since  I DON'T have to make another trip to the hospital this week!
  


1 comment:

  1. I went in to see my doc for a shot and while I was waiting, they tried to sit me in one of the chemo chairs. No thanks! I don't do those chairs anymore!

    ReplyDelete