Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tuesdays with Naqvi--Herceptin #49, 50

Remember when I said that April would be the month I finish chemo?  That statement was prefaced with something like, "as long as everything goes according to plan."  I don't know why I ever allow myself to think that a plan for my life would ever just fall into place!  

As I was explaining how excited I am about only having one more chemo after this, my nurse wasn't so sure about those numbers.  She went to look in the records and came back with the bad news that the computer is telling them that I still have 2 more days of chemo--one double dose on April 29th and a single dose in May.  WHAT!?!  

Apparently, back in August, I was scheduled for a double dose of Herceptin to give me a week off to recover from my mastectomy/reconstruction.  I remember thinking, "Why don't I just have a double dose every time?"  Unfortunately, their notes for that day show that I was only charged for a singe dose.  And the nurse that made those notes was fired.  Talk about a balloon buster.  

I've kept my own records of dates and treatments, and I specifically remember being scheduled for that double dose.  All of their records indicate that I wasn't given the correct dosage.  So, what do I do????  

The decision is in my hands.  Either, I go with what I rememeber happening in my own treatment, what I've recorded, and what I've been counting on in my brain.  Or, I have one extra single dose in May.  Is it worth having an extra dose just to cover all the bases?  If I go with what I really want to do and be done next time will I always wonder if I did enough to treat this disease?  Surely, one dose can't make all that much of a difference, right?  I think I'll finish up next time, and just have doses 51, 52*.  If keeping records with an asterisk can work for baseball, it can work my for my chemo.  

Seriously, why can't things just go according plan?????  



*******Dr. Naqvi just contacted the company the provides the drugs, and their records indicate that MY records are correct.  Thank goodness!!!!  I won't have to live the rest of my life with a Herceptin asterisk.  


No comments:

Post a Comment