Tuesday, December 27, 2016

H&P #17 + appt. with Fleener


Seventeen.  

Seventeen treatments in 2016 + more in 2017.  That's almost perfect for a treatment once every three weeks.  

Today I met with Dr. Fleener.  She asked how things are going.  The phrase "praise Jesus" was offered more than once in response to my answers, that things are going well, mostly status quo.  No diarrhea, no extreme exhaustion, nothing out of the ordinary to report.  

"How's the rash?" she asked.  
"It's gone," I answered.
"Gone?"  
"Yes! Do you want to see?"
"Wow.  All I can see are the scars marking where the rash once was.  Praise Jesus!  Have you been putting cream on it?"
"NO. The only thing I've done differently is take vitamins for skin, hair, and nails, and my skin cleared up."
"Those do have Vitamin E.  As long as it keeps working, I say just keep taking it!  You are my poster-child patient!  I tell people I have a patient who's been on this Herceptin/Perjeta regimen for awhile, and she just keeps going along, doing well.  I'm going to write a book about you someday!!"


I won't come back until January 17th and will make an appointment for my ECHO and PET then, hopefully having met my deductible by then and worked out payments by then.  

The 17th.  of 2017. 

That number keeps jumping out at me.  I usually love celebrating the new year, thinking on the past year's goals and making resolutions for the year ahead.  This year, cancer is making that difficult.

Although 2016 has not been the best year in social events and new stories, it's been a good year for our family.  I've been in remission for the entire year!  We've traveled more and further than perhaps any other year.  My first book was published.  Stephen is the healthiest he's been in a decade.  We've had much joy and happiness.  And, cancer was hardly a blip on the screen.  

But, we're coming up on 2017, another odd-numbered year.  
Perhaps it's a superstitious thing, but the odd years haven't had the best record when it comes to cancer:
2013--1st diagnosis + treatments, surgeries
2014--beat cancer
2015--2nd diagnosis + treatments
2016--in remission
2017--?

As scared as I might be of cancer's return, especially in the next odd-numbered year, all that comes back to mind is:

FEAR NOT.

Fear not, for God is with me.
Fear not, believe only. (see Luke 8:50)

And, the words to a hymn:

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand. 
(see "How Firm a Foundation")



No matter what 2017 brings, I need not fear.  God knows me and will bless me, in every condition, with His eternal, unchangeable love.  

With that testimony, I can move forward with the knowledge that 2017 will be a good year, one in which I can continue stomping out cancer.  


1 comment:

  1. Praying it is a great year! Time to break the odd year cycle. Love you!

    ReplyDelete