Tuesday, July 31, 2018

H&P#42 + ECHO






I have people ask all the time, "How is your chemo?"

The drugs I take ARE cancer-fighting drugs, but they are also remission-maintenance drugs.  I call them "chemo," but what I do every three weeks, is MUCH less strenuous than a heavy-duty chemo treatment.  There are a few unpleasant side-effects, but nothing that can't be managed.  The one BIG one is cardiomyopathy.  (And, for those of you who are not fans of the similar diagnosis from Beaches, these drugs can mess with my heart.)

Thankfully, this cardiomyopathy is not viral and can be reversed, just by stopping the drugs.  We hope NOT to have to stop them, because cancer can kill ya, too, just not as quickly as heart problems.  

I had an echo the week after surgery.  (That week also held orthodontist appointments, a child's birthday, a well-check appointment at the pediatrician, and a concert.  Who needs sleep?)




Echocardiograms are SO easy.  No IVs, no big machines, no radioactive substance...just lying half-naked on a bed with a left-side trapdoor, for access to scan the other side of the heart, while a tech, who's "not supposed to give me any results" scans and listens to my heart to make sure it's healthy enough for chemo. 



And, what do you know.....my heart RULES!  Still pumping after all the crap its been put through.  
Probably because I'm so loved.  
(Cuz, it's DEF not from working out!)



My time here is short.  It's sad that I'm leaving such a HUGE part of my Cancer Warriors and searching out a new crew.  Hopefully, I can come back anytime I need a "second opinion" or just when I want to go where everybody knows my name, and they're always glad I came!




My new office will learn all about my fight to BTHO cancer AND kicking it to the curb with my fancy shoes.  


No comments:

Post a Comment