Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tuesdays with Naqvi--Herceptin #19

The topic of strength and weakness has still been on my mind.  I've had time to read quite a bit more lately, and many books have made mention of the power in positive thinking, the ability that each of us has within us to make more of ourselves than we presently are, to overcome adversities, and to become better, even when we are already pretty good.  

Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for no apparent reason.  We may never know why certain trials come our way, but "Why is this happening to me?" is not the question to ask.  "Where can I go from here?", "How can I make the best of this?", "What can I learn from this?", "How can I become stronger because of this?", or "How can I help others and become more understanding because of my trials?" are all much more meaningful, helpful, and answerable.  When we focus on learning through our trials, looking for the "silver linings,"  and giving meaning to our hardships, they might actually become more bearable.  To put it in perspective, studies have been done to determine some of the most painful experiences the human body can endure.  The answers?  Child birth and passing kidney stones.  Why is it that women who might experience both could easily say they would endure the pain of child birth again, but never wish to pass another kidney stone?  There is meaning and joy in the result of the former, and nothing but the elimination of pain from the latter.  When we learn to find joy, even in the darkest times, to find reasons and positive outcomes from our suffering, they are easier to bear, lighter.  Simply "making it through" or "surviving" is one way to pass through a trial, but at the end of that trial, all that remains is the elimination of pain.  There is nothing else to show for the struggle.  It's much better to find joy in the journey, especially because we don't always know when {or if} a time of turbulence will end.  That "stone" might never pass.      

Another thought on pain:  None of us really wants to be in pain, but can you imagine if you NEVER felt pain?  Your body wouldn't be able to warn you of problems before they turned into serious injuries if left unchecked.  Pain is necessary to keep us alert.  If I had to choose between never feeling pain or feeling pain but being warned and able to fix the cause of that pain, I'd choose the pain.  So it is with trials.  If I had to pick between never, ever having difficult times or having trials, but also learning, growing, enduring, and feeling the relief, faith, and joy from overcoming, I'd choose joy.  Without the pain and sorrow, there couldn't be relief and joy, for we'd never recognize the difference.  Helen Keller said, "We would never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world."  How true!  There must be opposition--pain, trials, sadness--for us to truly recognize and understand the joy.  

I realize that it is not fair to compare one trial to another, one person's reaction to a similar trial to another's, or different levels of strength and weakness.  I hope that no matter where you are when a difficult time comes your way that you will strive to be a little better, a little stronger, a little more positive.  And, "if for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart.  So it has been with the best people who ever lived."  {Jeffery R. Holland} Trials are hard.  Pain is hard.  Life is hard.  Being strong is hard.  It might be easier to want to give up or give in, to whine and cry and expect someone else to do things for us.  It might be easier to complain and just get back into bed.  But, that kind of "easy" doesn't get us anywhere.  If I had to choose between something that is hard but teaches me joy, I'd choose hard.  No matter where you think you are on the scale between weakness and strength, always strive for strength.  Being a little better and a little stronger everyday is how you become more than you thought you ever could.       

P.S.  Even though I still have to finish Herceptin, Tamoxifen, and keep going to appointments, I have VERY good news to report.  My body is cancer-free!  The residual tumor was successfully removed AND my lymph nodes were clear!  BTHO cancer!    

Oh, and Gig 'em, Aggies!  BTHO bama this weekend. My hair is marooned-out in support!  



3 comments:

  1. I am in PINK in support of YOU today! Way to keep being strong! Love ya lots, Mom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am NOT in maroon. But I could find lots of pink. Glad you're doing so well. I'll see you Monday night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cancer free...those two words put me on cloud 9 today. I have been singing in my heart since I read this earlier today. I feel like skipping instead of walking. What a relief for you!!! Realizing you still have a long road of treatments ahead, but this news is enough. And yet another great perspective on pain/joy. I agree. Take the pain so we can have joy. What a joyful day full of good news!

    ReplyDelete