Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesdays with Melodee--Survivor Playlist

I love music.  This love isn't necessarily exhibited in the ways I'm sure my mother dreamed it would be when she named me Melodee, though.  Instead of piano performances and solos on stage, I'm more likely to plug in my iTunes, turn the volume way up, and jam while doing housework.  I sing, but in the front seat or the shower.

Music has been a great source of comfort over the years.  From my years of teenage angst, locking myself in my room with Counting Crows on repeat after a hard day of school, to working in the classroom with students who responded more to music than mathsheets, to hours upon hours of sitting in the chemo chair, music has an important place in my heart.

While I was in treatment, songs I'd heard before found new meaning.  New songs struck new chords because of my new experiences.  Music helped buoy me through the difficult times.  Music was a release, a refuge, and a respite from the hurt, heartache, and hard days.  Instead of watching TV during the lengthy days at chemo, I chose to listen to uplifting words or inspirational music to pass the time and give me strength and determination to overcome.

I began to create a Survivor Playlist of songs that motivated me to fight and inspired me to look on the bright side, and I'm sharing it because one of these songs might help someone else when they need a little lifting up.  

Here's my list so far {and if you have more songs to add, please share!!!}:


Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)--Green Day
It's My Life--No Doubt
Time Like These--Foo Fighters
It's My Life--Bon Jovi
New Attitude--Patti LaBelle
Hit Me With Your Best Shot--Pat Benatar
Feelin' Stronger Every Day--Chicago
You Gotta Be--Des'ree
Celebrate Good Times--Funktown America
Survivor--Destiny's Child
It's Not My Time--3 Doors Down
Stronger--Kelly Clarkson
Move Along--The All-American Rejects
For Reasons Unknown--The Killers
Fighter--Christina Aguilera
Fix You--Coldplay
Beat It--Michael Jackson
Don't Stop the Music--Rihanna
Titanium--David Guetta (Feat. Sia)
Bulletproof--La Roux
Brave--Sara Bareilles
Beautiful Day--U2
Walking on Sunshine--Katrina & the Waves
Happy--Pharell Williams
Dream On--Depeche Mode
Alive--Pearl Jam
Ain't No Mountain High Enough--Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
The Climb--Miley Cyrus
We Will Rock You--Queen
Try--Pink
Smile Like You Mean It--The Killers
I Run for Life--Melissa Etheridge
Radioactive--Imagine Dragons
Don't Stop Believin'--Journey
Eye of the Tiger--Survivor
I Will Survive--Gloria Gaynor
Sometimes you Can't Make it on Your Own--U2
Never Let Me Down Again--Depeche Mode
Celebrity Skin--Hole
Miss Atomic Bomb--The Killers
1999-Prince
Diamonds--Rihanna
Free Fallin-Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
My Name is Jonas--Weezer
Any Way You Want It--Journey
Overcomer--Mandisa
Desire--U2
Follow Me--Muse
Get On Your Boots--U2
Giving Up the Gun--Vampire Weekend
Here Comes the Sun--Beatles
Learn to Fly--Foo Fighters
Let It Be--Beatles
A Little's Enough--Angels & Airwaves
Meet Me Halfway--The Black Eyed Peas
Mr. Brightside--The Killers
Pumped Up Kicks--Foster the People
Set Fire to the Rain--Adele
Shine--Collective Soul
Wonderful Life--Gwen Stefani


I continue to add to this list all the time, for even though I am officially a Breast Cancer Survivor, there is always another mountain to climb, another stumbling block in the way, and another trial to overcome.   If music helps the hard times seem a little easier, that's just one of the many weapons we can us to conquer whatever challenges my come our way.  

   

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post!!! And you have definitely "lived" up to your name (& my dreams)! I was so happy to see some of MY favorite songs on your list and I'm excited to listen to the songs I don't know! Love ya lots.

    ReplyDelete