Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Leave it to Fleener--Round 4


After today, I'm 2/3 of the way done with chemo!  It's a happy day, celebrating my positive results of the PET scan by officially meeting with Dr. Fleener and receiving the official paperwork.  After only half of this chemo complete, my results are incredible!  Prayers and positivity are going a long way, and this chemo is literally melting the cancer away.  I feel better on the pain scale, am feeling strong, and am able to eat more, with only occasional difficulty in swallowing!  The only negative is what is probably a chemo-induced rash that looks like terrible acne on both sides of my body.  It started around the area of the bottom of my bra and grew and grew after this last round of chemo.  Some suggested it could be shingles, by Dr. Fleener doesn't think it's that, especially since it's on both sides of my body, not following my nerves, and not painful.  I told her today, "it wouldn't be ME without something crazy happening!"  

We just enjoyed a weekend away with the boys and other family to Great Wolf Lodge.  After vacation, it's straight back to chemo.  I run into 2 vacationers that had the chemo treatment look, and had the chance to talk with one of them.  I asked if she was receiving treatment, and she said, "I'm done!"  I wanted talk more and asked, "What kind of cancer?"  {I'm sure she could obviously tell that I'm also a cancer patient, so I thought she would welcome the camaraderie.}  Shockingly, she responded with a harsh, "I DON'T want to talk about it!!!"  I guess some people just don't have a positive bone in their body.  I don't see how you can survive the trials of this life without staying happy!  I, for one, choose to be thankful and to focus on the positive things in this world.  That will get me further than complaining and seeking out the darkness.  

We all run into difficult times.  There are heartaches, trials, temptations, difficulties, fear, sadness, and great challenges in this life.  This is unavoidable.  How we face these times is what defines who we are.  

Last week, I came across a scripture that spoke to me: 

"Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."  {Helaman 3:35}

If you read the surrounding verses and know what's been going on prior to this, there has been a long stretch of wars and difficult times for the people.  Then, they have peace and prosperity for many years.  Then, however, the pride of the people begins to seep in, and even people who profess to be members of the church begin to persecute those who are faithful believers.  Instead of giving up and faltering, the people take a more positive route:  

They fast and pray often.  That leads to them becoming stronger and stronger in humility and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ.  I love these two descriptions, especially that of becoming STRONGER in humility.  Being humble DOES NOT mean being weak.  You become strong in humility by not boasting in your own strength, but in the Lord's and by allowing Him to take your weak things and make them strong.  In so doing, you become firmer in the faith and continue to fast and pray often, and the cycle continues.  I call this the Humility Cycle.  In direct opposition to the Pride Cycle, the Humility Cycle fills your soul with joy, the joy that comes from yielding your heart unto God.  

This scripture sums up the Gospel to me.  When we accept our Savior and yield our hearts unto God, He purifies and sanctifies our hearts, our souls.  This allows us to become more and more humble, strengthened by the positive changes we see in our lives.  Life is not perfect and care-free, but as we are strengthened by yielding our hearts to Christ and by taking His yoke upon us, we learn that we truly can overcome any trial.  I have not always been a very humble person.  I was strong-willed and stubborn most of my life.  I challenged authority and walked that fine line of being just enough naughty to still get away with it and stay out of trouble.  As I have experienced a change of heart brought on over the years through many trials, I have learned that happiness truly does come from choosing to follow Christ.  It comes from yielding our hearts to His and by walking the path of truth.  It comes by choosing to fast and pray often and to look for the gifts and blessings we receive everyday, those Tender Mercies that help us to become firmer and firmer in our faith.  As we learn to live by faith and become stronger in our humility, allowing our hearts to be changed for good, we become converted to Christ and truly see that we can survive anything life throws our way.  A smile and a positive attitude go a long way in this process, too!  

Only 1/3 of treatments left!!!  Working on kicking cancer to the curb!!!!   

1 comment:

  1. So excited that things are going so well! We're still praying for you guys!! I miss seeing your cute boys on Sunday - & you!

    ReplyDelete