Friday, February 22, 2019

Dr. Wardak




Before this most recent MRI of the brain, we had the REALLY bad MRI of the brain.  That was the one Stephen cried after seeing, the one that gave me that six-twelve months to live diagnosis.  

This time, there are two spots that have grown.  Last year, these spots were smaller than a mm and had not grown.  Now, they are around 3mm.  






I have the option of targeted, gamma knife, radiation.  When the nurse first started explaining this procedure, he told me I would have a metal bar screwed into my forehead.  
"What was that??" I asked.
He then pointed up to his forehead, demonstrating where this bar and screws would go--through my skin and into the actual bone of my skull.
"We'll give you medicine to numb you and calm you.  Have you heard of Versed?"
"A time or two." {Stephen uses this drug all the time on patients.}
At this point, I was just thinking about how I'd look as Frankenstein.

Then, Dr. Wardak came in to explain more.  
He showed me the spots they were targeting for radiation.
He also talked about another option than the metal bar and screws.
I could have a mask molded to my face and head, which would be clipped in tightly to the machine.

"Yes, please.  That sounds like a better option."
"You have to PROMISE me that you will stay still and not fall asleep if you have the mask.  You'll have to stay perfectly still for the whole time, about 15 minutes on each spot."

"I promise.  Give me the mask"


I left not knowing when my procedure would take place, as it takes up to two weeks to get approval from insurance, but here's the next big adventure with cancer.  
Keep beating the hell out of it.  


2 comments:

  1. You got this, Mel. I'm so proud of you and your fighting spirit. BTHOC!

    ReplyDelete