Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesdays with Melodee

One week ago, I really wasn't looking forward to going back.  I did it and am now down to only one more of the really hard chemo.  I can make it.

The right medicine made SUCH a difference for me this time!  I felt pretty well on Tuesday and Wednesday.  It helped that the little boys were gone and Kyle was with a friend and then with Grandma and Grandpa.  The mornings are usually the hardest, since it takes me a little while to get up and moving without feeling sick, and the whole thing is that much more complicated because I have 3 boys who are ready to go and get breakfast and start the day the minute the sun hits their eyelids.  By Wednesday, I was really feeling great about things, hopeful that I was going to be well and clear, thanks to the strong drugs.  On Thursday morning I had a reality check, since I had to go get another shot.  I keep forgetting how hard those suckers are.  I feel achy, nauseous, tired, and generally yucky.  But, just as I was feeling sorry for myself, I ran into another patient in the waiting room.  She's on the other side of the mountain and changed my perspective a bit.  She was actually allergic to this strong immunity booster shot.  Instead of being able to have one shot to last her 14 days, she actually had to go 5 out of 7 days each week to receive a less potent shot.  I'll take the one whammy and feeling poorly for a few days over the travel time and hassle of the alternative!  I tried to eat soup on Thursday and just couldn't.  I had no appetite for Friday morning and lunch, either.  I was able to eat some chicken soup Friday night and felt much better by Saturday evening.  Considering it took me less than a week after chemo to feel back to *normal,* I'll take that as a victory.

This week we are just in full summer mode:  splash pad, swimming, more swimming, and getting projects done around the house. I'm going to savor all the summer of the next two weeks and try not to think about having to do this all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment