Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tuesdays with Melodee-Post Surgery!

I'm home, showered, and in my own pajamas!!!  Going home from the hospital was one of the best birthday presents this year.  

I was told this surgery was a major one, and they were NOT kidding!  My day started at 2:45 am last Wednesday.  I had to be showered with an antibiotic soap and had to apply a numbing cream to my entire breast for the dye that would be injected prior to surgery.  We left the house around 4:30 am for our arrival time of 5:00.  The hospital was wonderful--very cheerful and helpful.  I felt great about that.  We were taken to fill out paperwork and then sent to the waiting room.  A few minutes later, I was taken back to the pre-op area.  My vitals were taken, and I got dressed in my "sexy" thigh-high stockings {for blood circulation}, hot brown hospital socks, and charming gown and hat.  I was looking good!  The nurses put all these monitors on me and--MIRACLE OF ALL  MIRACLES--put in a perfect, pain free IV.  That has NEVER happened!  I took it as a great sign of good things to come.  After all of that, Stephen finally got to come back and see me.  Dr. Pollack came in to ask how I was doing.  I returned the question, and she responded, "I'm doing ok."  I said, "Just okay!?  You better be on your A game!"  She laughed, adding, "Oh, I am.  I just had my morning coffee!"  We met Dr. Hall, Dr. Boutros' associate.  Dr. Boutros came in to draw on me, putting his artistic marks all over my old body.  I joked about this being the kind of art Stephen could get into.  Dr. Boutros commented about how my babies REALLY stretched me out, so I had LOTS of material to work with and that I may actually heal easier than other patients because they wouldn't have to stretch me so tightly.  The anesthesiologist came in to ask his questions.  Stephen got to "talk shop" a bit and compare names of people they both knew.  It would be a CRNA in the room with me the whole time, so Stephen was happy about that.  And, the CRNA, Nicky, was really great.  My nurse, Kermit, was awesome, too.  He'd be with me all day, as well.  They both took Stephen's number and promised to keep him updated.  I kissed Stephen goodbye and everything went black.  

In what felt like 20 minutes, but was really about 8 hours later, I was awake in PacU.  I remember looking at the clock and not believing it was so late in the day, even though I knew how long the procedure took.  Anesthesia is pretty amazing.  I was still talking crazy, saying something about how I'm "all red!"  I guess I was dreaming about Willy Wonka and I was big and red instead of a blueberry!  In reality, I think something was said about my coloring being pale from blood loss.  But, that corrected itself soon enough. The good news, though, was that the surgery was a complete success!  Dr. Pollack was extremely happy that all of my lymph nodes were negative for cancer and she didn't have to remove a bunch of them.  She DID bring her A game.  Dr. Boutros was pleased with the results and felt like I'd recover well and be happy with my new breasts.  Some people have called him cocky, but I like his confidence and am glad he can back it up with results.  Stephen got to come see me.  I remember that a bit, but everything else from that time is a blur.  

I FiNALLy got back to my room at nearly 7 that night.  Sadly, right when i got in bed, I vomitted--a lot of nothing but bile enhanced with some of that blue dye. It was quite vibrant. That HURT!!!!  Sadly, STILL nothing to eat or drink, so i had lovely bile taste in my mouth all night. Stephen and Michele were in the room, though, as well as flowers and some amazing nurses.  It had been a LONG day, and Stephen had to leave soon for his early work day in the morning.  For that first night, I was checked every 30 minutes for vitals and for blood flow in my breast flaps.  The right one must've been a little weak or difficult to find because it took awhile each time.  It reminded me a bit of those times of having difficulty in finding a baby's heartbeat.  Luckily, as the week went on, the blood flow got much stronger.  I also found it hilarious that I still had stuff written all over me: "No pressure or EKG."


The next morning, i was FINALLY cleared to drink and eat!!!  Remember, it had now been almost 36 hours and my mouth still tasted of bile. Oatmeal and ice chips never tasted so good!  And that was THE BEST teethbrushing of my life!!!!  

My days at the hospital were mostly cycles of sleeping, checking vitals, taking meds, and eating.  I was on complete bed rest until Sunday, so that was a bit challenging.  I had to keep the Bair Paws heat gown on for 2 full days to help keep blood flow going, but it was hot! I was on a Dilaudid pump, which was nice.  The pain was pretty intense, even for me--I have a high tolerance for pain.  I had to keep doing these breathing treatments in an inspirometer, which would usually stir up phlegm to cough up.  That was PAINFUL on my newly cut body, so a pillow had to be kept handy to hold on to while coughing.  It was hard getting used to having no core strength to move in addition to no arm strength to help adjust myself in bed.  It was nice to be able to have the pain kept under control and be able to sleep so much.  Stephen came up after work, which was nice.  Michele went out to spoil us with Grand Lux Cafe--gotta love bringing in contraband food!  Dr. Hall visited, and soon enough it was time for Stephen to head home again.  

The next day, Friday, was a big day of changes.  First, I was pulled off my pain pump.  It was a major switch from having a constant drip to trying to fit into a a 6 hour pill schedule.  I was hurting! Plus, even though they took away the Bair Paws, I started to feel so hot, like an intense fever!  I could NOT cool down!  Between the pain and the heat, it was pretty miserable.  Michele got me a fan, I tried to sleep it off, we found out I could have a Dilaudid boost to help the transition, and I was finally feeling more normal.  Cold turkey on pain management was NOT for me.  On the bright side, the boys came up for a visit, and brought pink balloons and pink flowers.  Seeing them lifted my spirits.  And, I was finally starting to get the pain under control.  Breathing was easier, and things were looking up.  By the way, my nurses for the week, Dorian and Teresa {Asian Teresa} and Theresa {White Theresa with an H}, were FANTASTIC.  

Michele was a gem all week.  I don't know what I would've done without her!  There were a few stressful times between her getting lost on the way back to the hospital and also the small thing of, um, totaling her rental car.  We laughed, she kept me fed, rested, fought for me in the pain management department, and was great company from my in-bed-all-the-time boredom.  How grateful I was to have her.

Saturday was more of the same: pill schedule, vitals, breathing treatments, sleeping, more hanging out in bed.  It was getting a little easier each day.  Stephen was able to meet up with an old mission friend and came up to the hospital after that.  I was glad to have company.

Sunday morning started off early.  Before the morning shift change, Dorian had my foley out and had me up and out of bed and using the restroom before 7am!  She also removed my IV, which was a bit overdue--it infiltrated my tissue, so my whole arm looked like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!  Good thing I'd already been eating and doing everything lefthanded all week. My right hand was useless!  Being up and mobile was quite the shift after being stuck in bed for 4 days.  Dr. Boutros came to check on me and cleared me for release!  After that great news, I was finally able to shower and get dressed.  Sadly, we found a few bed ulcers on my back and backside.  It's a good thing I wasn't in bed for longer than that!  But it was my birthday, and I was ready for some celebration.  Stephen showed up with some surprise gifts and helped get me ready to go home.  Hooray!

Out of bed and opening presents



a Tiffany bracelet to go with the hospital ones!


All my hospital love!  





We said goodbye to the wonderful staff and to Michele and were out of there.  



It's almost been one week since one of the most difficult medical procedures I've ever had, and I'm still a bit of a mess.  Walking is slow, especially since I can't stand up straight.  The pain is intense, but bearable.  I need lots of help--to shower, to carry anything, to get dressed, emptying my drains, and much, much more.    The hardest thing for the boys is seeing the drains.  I think they are a little scary for them. 

But, I'm not complaining.  Everyday gets a little easier.  I have lots of help and am on the mend.  I'm pretty much cancer free and ready to survive whatever comes my way!

2 comments:

  1. SO glad the surgery was a success and that recovery is coming along. I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just wow. It brought me to tears to read this. You have been through so much physically and emotionally. Having through two c-sections, and knowing how hard the recovery was from those, it is hard to imagine that, but worse, plus the breast surgery on top of it all. Just SO much all at once. But then all over at once too. You are so strong, inspirational, and heroic. My gosh, girl. Only gets better from here, right? Plus you're gonna have a totally hotter bod after this! So happy things went well, and that your lymph nodes were negative, and that your recovery is going well too.

    ReplyDelete