Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Dance in the Rain Benefit

Last night, the Sprit of Aggieland was on full force!  Amazing people in this community came together to support our little family, and we were BLOWN AWAY and humbled.  



The same local restaurant owner, Wade Beckman, who sponsored a fund raiser for us back in October at his sister restaurant, was involved in planning this night, and it all came together through the love and support of some of Stephen's co-workers who happened to be out to eat and chatting with him one night.  They were brainstorming how to help and wanting to be a part of something, and Wade offered his restaurant.  Numerous silent auction items came in, t-shirts were designed, tickets were sold, and people came and came and came. 

Dr. Fleener was there.  Countless co-workers were there.  We were in awe of the support our little story could mean to people!  It was touching, and we felt so loved.  The doctors even told the story about a big meeting at the hospital, scheduled for the same time as the event.  That wouldn't do, so they insisted it be moved up.  As 5:30 approached, many were on their phones, urging the meeting to wrap up.  By 5:45, almost everyone was ready.   Dr. Fleener told me, "they were all talking about this 'CRNA event' they needed to attend, and I kept thinking, 'is this Melodee's event because that's where I need to be!'" This BIG-little town never ceases to amaze me.




There was another BIG surprise of the night for me.  I NEVER get surprised.  Not because I don't love it, but because someone always seems to accidentally drop a little hint, and that little hint is usually enough for me to figure everything out.  

Not yesterday.  

As I was about to start getting ready for the event last night, my doorbell rang.  Kyle ran to answer it, and I thought I heard Grama Sue's voice.  And then I SAW Grama Sue.  AND MICHELE!!!  

These two amazing ladies surprised me by flying in from Midland for the night to be a part of my event.  Happy birthday to Grama Sue and happy happy day to Michele!  Love these two so much!!!








We had some book sales at the night, and I got to personalize a few.  


And, on top of all the happy feelings and fun times with friends, co-workers, community members, family, and fellow survivors, we raised money.  Over $16,000.  I. am. in. shock.  
Nobody thought it was funny when I said, "Well, that should cover my funeral costs." (never one to shy away from the dark humor, after all.)  They were much happier when I said, "OR....and DISNEY CRUISE!!!"

Stephen was also excited about his raffle win--another gift--a YETI COOLER!!!  
(I was gifted a facial, a gorgeous frame, & Kendra Scott earrings!)



There are really no other words to say but Thank you.  Thank you to all who planned, participated, came to support us, and made this one of the best night's of the year!!!  Love to all.




1 comment:

  1. Our family is SO grateful to all who participated in this fundraiser for Melodee, Stephen & the boys....Y'all are ANGELS! As Mel's mother, I wish I could express my gratitude adequately-and give ALL who participated a great big hug! THANKS TO ALL Y'ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete