Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Round 2-ish. Some Adjustments Needed

It was not a piece of cake to leave my Virtual Academy students at  home while I received my 2nd infusion.   I figured that I wouldn't be there too long, as I was going for labs and a 30 minute infusion.  

As with so many other plans made in 2020, the day didn't quite turn out as expected.  




We showed up early. I had blood taken for labs and thought it would be a hop-skip-jump to my infusion room.  As such, I left all my items in the lobby with my friendly driver. There was no time for retrieval and no open infusion rooms, and I was surprised to be taken directly from the labs, through the secret hall, straight to meet with Dr. Cole + her oncology fellow.  It was not straight, though.  What a wait,  especially with no tech to keep me occupied!  (I passed the time with a little observation-room yoga!). A new nurse came in to ask all the questions, and there was another interval of clinic pilates.

Dr. C was happy to meet face to face, but not happy with my lab results.   After my week off of one chemo pill, she expected my blood to have a better bounce back.  However, these old bones aren't doing much bouncing at all these days, thus no assistance to important blood stuff rebounding. Instead of counting on the originally scheduled chemo restart, Dr. Cole gave me another week of rest and decreased the dosage of the second chemo pill. I would then wait until a room to open up and continue to the Herceptin infusion, returning in 5-7 days for more lab work.  

Instead of continuing a pre-chemo workout, I was reunited with my friend and my stuff back in the lobby for another large fraction of the day.  FINALLY, a room opened up, and it took no time to be out and back home, praying my kids were able to stay alive with the extended adult absence.  



I like to joke that cancer has made me "mostly dead," many times over.   As we all know, "Mostly dead IS slightly alive," and it has taken multiple miracle pills to put me back up on my feet to fight.   In this case, I'm hoping that my lower dosage of miracle pills will allow my mostly hollow bones to make enough to keep me going.  



 I'm finding in this mostly disastrous year, there are MORE than just slightly enough reasons to keep on living and looking for all the miracles that the Maker will send my way.       

No comments:

Post a Comment