Monday, January 31, 2022

New Mexico Baseline Scans

 Dr. Tafur, my new oncologist, wanted to have updated CT and MRI results at the start of my treatment with him.  Thankfully, I did not have to drive to Lubbock, but could have the tests done in Lovington.  However, unbeknownst to me, I apparently needed to show my "Power Port Card"?!? Never ever in Texas was I asked for such ID.  

"Do you want to run home and get it?" I couldn't even think of where in the actual world this stupid piece of cardboard would be.  In a box? In a recycling center in Frisco? There was no telling.  They would accept my word that I have had all of my Covid vaccines + booster, but they couldn't take my word that the device in my chest was indeed an official Power Port, capable of withstanding the liquids required for scans.  No evidence from my cancer journal or cancer blog would suffice.  

The only solution would be an IV.  

Not only was I frustrated with the whole situation, but I was not looking forward to being a pin cushion for needles.  My veins look good, but they roll or blow.  99% of the time.  The ONLY 2 people who have been able to properly access one of my veins, without pain and on the first time,  have been my husband and his brother, both CRNAs.  Even before cancer, this has been a problem.  Prior to every surgery, every procedure, and every birth, I've been the victim of painful IVs.  Apparently, I have a bit of PTSD in this area, and reacted like this: 



The head nurse, Audra, was called in and listened to my literal sob story.  She assured me that she was very good at this.  I explained again.  She raised with numbing meds and the use of an ultrasound for the process.    


She was very good and got it the first time.  
I was still unhappy with the whole thing.

Let's get going on these scans.  
I'm upset and hungry.  



When you're hangry, what's better than a *delicious* shake?
The don't do vanilla here, though.  
Bring on the flavored water drink, which tasted like watered-down cough medicine.
Not my favorite.  


CT scans went fine. 
 I was still teary when I checked-in, and the kind woman at the desk came out to bring me some Kleenex and ask if there was anything else she could do for me.    
After that was finished, the tech walked me down to the next scan: MRI.  I haven't done this test in quite some time, as my UT clinic didn't have one of these machines.  

MRI tech, Bud, was so kind.  He chatted and asked what had gone wrong for the day and assured me this would go quickly and then I could finally get some lunch.   


Some days are better than others.  
Today was a rough one.
However, there were so many amazing people who gave of themselves to help with my frustrations.
This place still gets a stamp of approval.  

Time to keep on going.    



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it was such a rough day! I think you are amazing. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your first picture broke my heart and scared me at first. I'm so glad you posted the smile at the end.

    ReplyDelete