Tuesday, January 11, 2022

New State, New Cancer Place


I am so glad to have found a place that can work to further my treatment.  Dr. Cole was able to refer me to a hospital setting in Lubbock, TX, that is connected to a smaller hospital closer to home.  It worked out perfectly that Stephen was off the week of my first appointment with Dr. Tafur, my new oncologist.  It's crazy that this is my first male cancer doctor!  He has a lot of greatness and girl power to live up to, but he seems to be up for the challenge.  


There was quite a bit of waiting, which wasn't Stephen's favorite thing, but I'm so glad he was able to be here for the initial appointment.  What a help it was to have his medical brain to help me recall my long list of procedures and surgeries and medications over the years.  It's getting more and more difficult to keep everything in line by the date and in the right place on my overall cancer timeline.  






I met some great nurses and staff, and got all my vitals for the start of this new point in my journey.  Things seem fine and promising.  Dr. Tafur is sending my blood for further genetic testing, as there have been new discoveries since I was first diagnosed.  I also discovered that I have officially lost height on this path.  I started at 5'6".  I am now 5'3.5".  However, to make myself feel better, I will rely on my math teaching background and choose to round up.  I've cut 2" off my height, which is the wrong direction and makes me even more aware of the miracles that have been blessed down during this journey.  I am grateful  for life and for the ability that I still have to be active and walk uprightly.   It's miraculous that I am still able to be aware of and thrive, especially with my health history.  How blessed I am for the care and concern for the oncologists that have pushed this onward.  I am thankful to still have more people leading me on.  


I continue to move forward---one step at a time--to fight this and become the woman I am to be.   


 

1 comment:

  1. Your courage and good attitude are a blessing to everyone who meets you or even hears your story. Keep it up! You are helping so many people realize what is possible in life and what is important as well. We will miss you being close - ish - but I can still get there if you need me.

    ReplyDelete