Monday, October 17, 2022

A Fresh Biopsy



It's time for another appointment in Lubbock. Thankfully, it was not for the procedures that were canceled about a month ago.  Dr. Tafur set up for a biopsy of my liver tumors, so we could check for any mutations or new ways to treat my overall cancer.  
I'm so very grateful that my aunt could be my person for the day, and that old friends could house us overnight.  What was not so ideal is that I left my phone at home and felt a bit lost without it.  Alarm? Nope.  Something to keep in touch with people during the day? Forget about it.  Being able to document with photos? It was just a make it work moment.
We got into town a little later than planned, but still with enough time to grab dinner.  My instructions were to come in to the hospital with nothing to eat or drink after midnight, so I wanted something substan.  We went for pasta.  
It was delicious, but did me wrong. As I got into bed, that red sauce acidity started stabbing me with heartburn.  And I take medication for that! 
I was going to just try to suck it up and fall asleep, but it was too bad.  I got up to ask for some Tums or Pepto, but my friends did not have that in the house.  Luckily, their son, a nurse, who lives next door was able to bring some over.  Best of all, they were able to give me a blessing of healing and a restful night's sleep. All those things helped me sleep through the night and be ready for the procedure the next day. 

We arrived early, to draw blood for labs.  My man, Timothy, was there again.  He stuck in the needle without me feeling it at all. Lots of people say they are good.  Few people have the skills to back it up.  He is one that has.  Next, I was rolled up to room 35, my home base for the day.  An IV, not as pain free, was placed, but there was no digging around.  She got it on the first try.  I changed into my lovely gown and hospital socks, was given several warm blankets, and told that it would be my turn soon.  The nurse went through the pre-procedure questions and possible concerns, and left us to wait. 


Soon, transportation came to take me downstairs.  An ultrasound of my liver was taken to determine the spots from which to draw samples.  I was given conscious sedation (not enough, in my opinion or Stephen's), but local was enough to get the job done.  The doctor only had to take three samples, which is so different than my original biopsy from back in 2013, where I ended up crying because it was just so many and took so long that the local wore off and 1/3 of my breast seemed to be biopsied out.  This day was so easy compared to that.  
When I was returned to room 35, it shocked my aunt.  I don't think she had time to get started on any work, we returned so quickly!  That was good because it meant that all had gone according to plan with no problems or complications.  
I then had a chance to eat and drink! A lunch from the hospital's Chick-fil-a was just perfect.  Then, I could rest and wait for the four hours of monitoring  to confirm that there was no internal bleeding in my liver.  
At that four hour mark, transportation wasn't available to take me back downstairs, so my ultrasound girl brought the machine to me.  She scanned me, said that it all looked good to her, so she would confirm with the doctor, and my nurse would be in soon with my discharge instructions.  Then, I would be released to return home.  
I am so grateful for everyone who worked with me today.  It was beyond smooth.  Everyone was so nice and caring and happy to have me as a patient.  I learned a few crazy connections from some nurses, like one who grew up in Midland and was one the swim team and went to the same high school as my mom and her siblings and that her brother probably went there with Stephen's brothers.  Then, another nurse, who was planning on starting school next semester to become a nurse practitioner, even though she didn't want to and was just following a strong prompting from God.  The day went swimmingly, and I was so grateful to have these lovely people to help and assist with my well being.  
Then, it was time to go home, and such an easier drive without rainstorms and darkness from the trip the night before.  

So far, I'm feeling a bit weak, and I am not so happy about not being able to take a bath for two days, but I'll deal.  I'm thankful that all worked out with very few problems and no cancelectomies! 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment