Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Before Chemo

I'm enjoying the last few days before my life changes completely, in ways I can't even begin to imagine.  The preparation and pre-chemo days are over, and it's time to hit the ground running. 

Stephen and I have been able to go on a few dates in the last few days.  I absolutely soaked in getting a pedicure---probably the last "real" one until I'm done with chemo, due to the higher risk of infection.  


We went to a movie AND had popcorn and a coke.  A movie in itself is a rare treat these days, but treats, too?  Spoiled! 

We went out for Italian food--one of my favorites!  I savored every bite from the bread with herbs and oil, to the salad, to the pasta, and even dessert.  I needed that after such an awful day. 

I even cheated today and took a long bubble bath, feeling it was more important to be totally relaxed, mentally and physically, and prepared to take on this chemo beast tomorrow than follow the doctor's orders of no baths for 2 weeks.

 The laundry is caught up, I've planned as much as I can for beforehand, and now it's time to get this thing going.

As an amazing service to me, a talented friend of mine offered to document this journey in photos.  I really wanted one of Me.  The Me before cancer {B.C.}.  The me that will change and grow and be unrecognizable to the me of the future, after this refiner's fire has burned, and I've risen, like a phoenix from the ashes.  {Too dramatic?  Probably.  Can't help that dramatic arts popping up every now and then! ;) }  As I was saying, I really wanted a picture of the normal Mel before life is completely turned upside down.  So, here she is:     


Say, "So Long" to this girl--the way she looks, the things she thinks she knows about herself and her abilities/limitations, and what she's able to withstand.  Because it's all about to change, starting tomorrow. 

6 comments:

  1. Your beautiful, espically on the inside my friend. I promise your in my prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!!!! You're amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful picture. You look so beautiful. Just remember you will always have that beauty - it comes from inside you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pink toenails! What a beautiful picture of you. Really. I can't get over how much you look like your sister, Julianna, in that picture. Usually you and Em look more alike. I love that shirt in you too. You look glowing and elegant and beautiful. You're not going to lose all your beauty. My aunt's hair grew back finer and she went from brown to almost black; she also discovered how great she looks with really short hair, and has kept it that way even 17 yrs later. While you most certainly will change on the outside, you will always be you. Praying for you so much. Will be thinking of you all day tomorrow. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should write a book! :) You're such an amazing writer. Good luck today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I's SO glad you have someone documenting your journey in photos. I truly believe in the power of a photograph and one day you will be able to look back on all of this and see how far you have come and how much stronger you are. xoxo

    ReplyDelete