Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Outpouring of Love

I found out about getting "the cancer" on Thursday.  By that night, there was already an amazing connection through facebook, prayer chains, and other links of people who were being made aware of this diagnosis and showering me with love and happy thoughts.

The bishop of our ward {our church family's ecclesiastical leader} called around 10 that night, saying he'd been in meetings, but there were about 5 messages blinking on his phone from people asking if he'd heard about Melodee Cooper and to call her.  He shared some of his own personal experiences of a loved one with breast cancer, reassured me that there was an army of people ready to support and love me, and offered to release me from my assignment to speak in church on Sunday.  I had already been preparing and studying about our Savior, Jesus Christ--my topic, and felt like I still wanted to speak.  He said that they'd all be there with their pink on, ready to support me.

Boy, was he right!  As I looked over the congregation on Sunday, the sight of pink ties, pink tops, pink ribbon pins, pink ribbons, pink jewelry, pink scarves, etc. was so touching and so strengthening.  I really feel like there is an army of supporters behind me, just in my home ward.

Beyond that, I know there are people in all the places we've lived that are praying, sending me positive messages, and caring about me and my family.  My neighbors---keep in mind we've lived here less than a year---are already sharing stories and giving me so much service.  As they share the story with their loved ones, I'm being put on prayer lists that reach far beyond our street, or even the state of Texas.    

I can't forget my family and friends who have already gone above and beyond in letting me know how much I'm loved and in doing more than any of us have planned or should be expected to "have" to do.  I got an amazing care package yesterday.  Awesome!


A neighbor watched my kids so I could go do something just for me---something fun, even, offered from another friend.

A friend dropped everything to spend all morning sitting in a waiting room of a diagnostic center with me.

A friend spent all morning at my house with the boys.

A friend has offered to pretty much take over school carpool, even with her own 3 boys!

My mom, and others, are already making plans to come down to help.

The positive phone calls, texts, and messages have been so comforting.

The list goes on and on....

I've had so many amazing offers of service, and I haven't even really begun this journey.

One more story to share:
Before the world nearly ended last Thursday, my side of the family was planning a family reunion for July of this year.  I've been in charge of booking accommodations, sending in the deposit for a great cabin we found, and making sure we had a great place to stay.  I hadn't even thought about how my chemo and the change in our entire life would probably make the family reunion a no-go for launch.  My sister called me last night and suggested making a change, offering to call Nancy, the owner of the property, to cancel our registration and see about getting our deposit back.
As I was looking up her number to forward on to Emmy, I had this feeling that I should just go ahead and call, since I've been the one in contact with Nancy during the planning stage.  I tried to push it away since I told Em I'd give the information to her and let her do it, but I just felt like I should call.  When Nancy answered, I said, "Hi, Nancy.  This is Melodee Cooper."  The next thing out of my mouth was going to be about how we were renting her cabin on July 24th, etc., but she immediately exclaimed, "Hi, Melodee!  How are you?  I just put your deposit check in the mail today, and I know you're going to love the place."  I then explained that our world has been turned upside down as I was just diagnosed with breast cancer, and we were going to have to cancel our family reunion.  She responded right away with, "I'm SO sorry about that!  That's terrible.  I totally understand and will get you your deposit back as soon as possible.  I have absolutely NO PROBLEM in sending you the entire thing back."
She then paused for a minute and said, "I'm going to take a chance in sharing this with you.  My brother-in-law was diagnosed with brain cancer about a month ago.  He's been in the hospital this whole time.  His entire life, he's been an atheist, even making fun of us believers and the Bible, calling it "Mother Goose."  A few days before his surgery, he had an experience.  God took him and showed him a very dark place.  He was literally taken out of his body from off the bed and shown a glimpse of the hell he would have if he continued to live as he was.  He is a changed man now.  And, God is Amazing.  He knows what we need much more than we do.  I believe that God knows how to put us through things that will make us so much better and stronger when we come out on the other side.  You're going to be fine, Melodee.  I'm going to pray for you.  I mean it.  You never know what God has in store, but we have to keep our faith in Him.  The whole world as we know it could end and He could come back again at any time.  Eternity is what it's about and keeping that in our minds at all times."
 At this point, I was just shocked and touched by this story and of how Nancy was sharing something so personal and life-changing with someone she's only communicated with through email up until now.  But, I just kept thinking about how my story has just made another connection in Durango, Colorado, and that there is one more person praying to our Heavenly Father on my behalf.  And, of how I might have never felt that connection if I hadn't called.   

I have no doubt that I can BTHO {Beat the Hell Outta, for you non-Aggies} cancer, thanks--in part--to the incredible outpouring of love and faith I'm witnessing.                

2 comments: