Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Bald | Beautiful

 I said farewell to my hair last night!  At a big celebration of love and support, Stephen and I both shaved our heads.  I'm SO thankful for his love and willingness to be right by my side in all of this, as well as all of the friends and family who came to cheer us on. 

Before:


Stephen was up first.


Glory, my neighbor and stylist, showed me how to do it, so I shaved most of his hair off!




Then, it was my turn:





 Stephen did the honors:





 The boys watched on as Glory finished up. 












"Bald: NAILED IT!"




 It was much easier to have a cheering section of my Pink Warriors:



 After:



Having no hair gives me no where to hide, so this is no longer a disease where I look normal.  People can easily tell now that I'm on my way to becoming a cancer survivor! 


I wanted the boys to be there, even though they were up way past bedtime.  I'm not sure how they took the *new* me, but this is life, and we're all learning how to go about it one step at a time.  










I'm learning to love my cheekbones and am trying to embrace this new look.  I'm grateful my head is pretty round, and my ears are small and don't stick out.  I make a pretty good bald person!  

10 comments:

  1. You are a BEAUTIFUL bald person! and I'm not just saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are AWESOME!!! I am honored to know you and call you my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just a beautiful bald as with hair!! I mean, wowsers, woman! You are one of those women that can be bald and still look so feminine. You are brave and strong. I love the party and that Stephen did this with you. Your local Pink Warriors are awesome. You have another one here in NC. Think about you every day. Will call again soon. Love ya, you beautiful baldy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to what Chrystal says! Both you & Stephen are amazing!!!!! Beautiful inside AND out!!! Can't wait to see you next week-love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! You are one amazing gal! Love the new do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel, I love how every picture of you shows off your gorgeous smile! Every post of yours that I read makes me realize how difficult your journey is for you and your family, yet your smile shows a different side of you. You are an inspiration! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with Rebecca. Keep smiling! It is sooo lovely to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed that Stephen went bare with you. You guys look great. Mel, your face is amazing without hair to distract from it. Your eyes are go big and your bone structure is fantastic. Stephen looks great as well. Tell the kids hi from Aunt Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tears reading this. Mostly happy tears because you have so much love and support by your side...but a few sad tears that you even have to go through this to begin with. Kick cancer's a$$.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look awesome and it was an honor to be there to support you.

    ReplyDelete