Tuesday, October 25, 2016

H&P #14 + Flu Shot

This week has been busy, busy, busy!  My fundraiser at Shipwreck Grill was so much fun and exhausting; I feel like it's taken me a whole week to recover.  Thank you, thank you to everyone who came and who was there in spirit.  We are so grateful for the love and generosity of all of you.  (More pictures to come!)  

This is my second treatment in the month of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  At this time of year, more people are aware of breast cancer, and therefore more willing to give to the cause, in a similar way that people tend to be more giving and humble during the month of December, thanks to the spirit of Christmas.  Today is the second day this month that someone has donated lunch to the whole clinic, including patients!  It was sandwiches the first time, and today we're having pizza and fruit.  Someone just said, in response to this donation, "See, having cancer's not always bad!"


I'm having knee surgery on Friday!  This knee has been bothering me off and on for over two years, so I'm excited for the possibilities of having some elimination of once that's healed.  At the preregistration yesterday, the nurse couldn't believe I haven't done something about this problem before now.  As I've explained to several people, "Cancer trumps lots of other things."  That's I am ABLE to have surgery on my knee is a blessing--it means that's the most bothersome health issue in my life right now.  

In other news, my hair is growing and almost long enough for a "real" cut.  In playing around with different styles, I even tried some bangs.  I laughed at myself the minute I saw this look in the mirror, for it reminded me of an image from my childhood.  It's as if I just met my long-lost twin sister at a summer camp and had her cut my hair short like hers in order to fool our parents and pull the switch on them!  

That's more like it:  


It's hard to believe we are almost through October.  We're going to turn around and be celebrating a new year! That means I'm coming up on 1 year of NEV. (No evidence of disease.)  Part of me wants to shout that from the rooftops, and part of me is waiting for lightning to strike again.  I've been having some headaches this week, pretty bad headaches that I can feel in the back of my head and in my sinuses.  They go away, and they could just be attributed to hunger, stress, or lack of sleep, but that little, questioning voice inside wonders....is cancer back?  These are some of the little things I now deal with---every pain and ache, is that cancer?  I try to not focus on that line of thinking, but it's not always easy.  

For now, I just keep on putting one foot in front of the other and have faith that things will work out--no matter how they work out--and that God will keep taking care of me and my family.  




No comments:

Post a Comment