Friday, October 28, 2016

Post-Surgery

After my MRI results showed a meniscus tear and loose cartilage on my left knee, it was FINALLY time for surgery.  This knee has been bothering me with pain--off and on---for years now.  Every time I think I'm going to have it looked at, I get sucked into fighting cancer again.  Not this time.  We were going to do something about it!  

Thankfully, Dr. V. had a cancelectomy on Friday morning, the first case of the day.  Stephen counseled me to get the first case of the day, as that is the ONLY one guaranteed to start on time.  I didn't want to be one of the afternoon cases and go hours and hours without anything to eat or drink.  It also worked out that, but some amazing coincidence, that Stephen was off on Friday.  Also, his brother came into town and SAVED us by getting up with our boys and getting them off to school.  This way, Stephen was able to drive me and stay at the hospital for updates. 

Since I'd already pre-registered, I was back in my room before Stephen parked the car.  I had time to change and watch a little tv while we waited.  The nurse came in and BY ANOTHER AMAZING MIRACLE, she ACTUALLY LISTENED when I told her that I'm a hard stick.  And, what do you know?  She nailed the I.V.!!!  This is truly the greatest blessing of the day.  I HATE I.V.s.  Hate them. Usually, I tell the nurse that I'm a hard stick.  He or she then feels my veins and says something like, "this one is great.  I can get it."  I remind him or her that I AM A HARD STICK, but they don't believe me and go ahead....without numbing medicine....and, what do you know?  MISSES.   For every single procedure I have ever had done that required and I.V., the average is me having 2-3 needle sticks before an I.V. gets started correctly.  But, this nurse listened.  She explained that she's learned the hard way to listen.  Now, she stays away from those "teaser veins," as she calls them, the ones that feel like they're great, but are just teasing you.  She used numbing medicine and got the IV in on the first try....WITHOUT ANY READJUSTMENTS!!!!  And, I didn't feel a thing!  This was an answer to prayers, so thank you to all who prayed for this procedure!  Good came from it before the hard part got started!!!



Anesthesia came in....handpicked by Stephen....we rolled back, I moved over the to OR table....and things went black until I was not wanting to wake up from my amazing nap.  

Dr. V. came to talk to Stephen and gave him this pictures of my knee.  The top left picture is from my medial side.  It looks good.  The other pictures show the meniscus tear, as well as some red/pink on the bones.  This is the bad part.  "She's been dealing with this a long time, hasn't she?," Dr. V asked Stephen.  (He's another example of my high pain tolerance NOT always being a good thing.  Should've taken care of this sooner.)  "This is basically bone on bone, so she's going to need cortisone shots.  When those don't work, a knee replacement."  What I've learned from this?  DO NOT PUT OFF going to the doctor!!!  Perhaps if I had taken care of this before hand, I could've saved more of my knee.  



Physical Therapy then came in to instruct me on using the crutches to walk and go up and down stairs.  They also explained and practiced 6 different exercises that I need to do 2-3 times each day.  It's also important to keep in elevated and iced to keep the swelling down.  


After that, we were home before 11:00, and I was able to rest for most of the afternoon!





I'm hopeful that I'll recover well and have some relief from the pain.  Time will tell, but for now I'm grateful that the surgery went smoothly and for the prayers and great care from all the doctors, nurses, and techs who assisted in this procedure and helped make my experience a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment