Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Brain MRI Results + Appointment with Dr. Wardak & Crew


Last week I had the easiest MRI experience of my life.  Traffic went smoothly, we chose the correct location the first time (UT Southwestern's downtown complex is, literally, complex), I got in right on time, I was able to wear my *favorite* disposable scrubs + no-slip hospital socks, had the 2nd best IV stick of my life, and the actual scan was quick and painless.  (Shout out to my all FEMALE team for the day!!)



It takes a few days to receive results.  The scans have to be read.  Reports must be dictated and reviewed, then sent to my doctor.  Someone transfers the reports to my online file and to MyChart, online access to my own account information.  These online reports are often confusing because, although I have gained a lot of medical knowledge in the last six years, I haven't quite received my degree in radiation oncology. I've discovered over much experience in PET, CT, MRI, and bone scans that usually the longer the reports and the greater the medical vocabulary, the worse the report.  

This report was short and intelligible, 
especially these highlighted words and phrases!!!  

No areas of abnormal enhancement are seen, with particular focus on the cerebellum.  Enhancement in the bilateral cerebellar hemispheres are unchanged.  The ventricles, sulk, and basal cisterns are normal.  Hydrocephalus or pathological extra-axial or midline shift is not detected
Hemorrhage or diffusion restriction is not evident.  Scattered foci of susceptibility are unchanged from prior imaging and may be related to prior radiation. 
The calvarium and central skull base are normal. 
The paranasal sinuses are clear.  The mastoid air cells are unchanged.   
No areas of abnormal enhancement.  The previously noted cerebellar vermis lesion and right cerebellar hemisphere sessions are no longer seen.    


Miracles keep coming, y'all!!!




I had the actual follow-up appointment with Dr. Wardak and his team to confirm what I was pretty sure was all good news.  

After my vitals, the RN, asked mucho questions.  I was expecting Dr. W next, but was greeted by a colleague.  He pulled up my images and asked and examined, again with mucho questions.  Finally, my actual doctor came in.  I got this feeling like the whole team needed answers to all the questions they could think of.  It was a different feeling than I've had in many moons.  Perhaps this is just what it feels like when you once had cancer and then now are normal.  Perhaps these results make me a bit of an outlier, and these medical professionals are intrigued to know why.  
Is this result too good to be true?  
Why is there not more wrong with her?
She should be in more pain than she claims and in more areas.
How can all this be explained?


It doesn't need to be explained to me as anything but miraculous, unless something I'm doing or some treatment I have received will help another survivor to have results like mine.  

Before (3/19/2017) and After (9/9/2017)
:






The only explanation I need is that with God nothing shall be impossible.

My thought for the week is borrowed:

"While the world is filled with uncertainty, there need not be uncertainty in your heart and mind about what is true and what is not... 
...In a coming day, you will present yourself before the Savior. You will be overwhelmed to the point of tears to be in His holy presence. You will struggle to find words to thank Him for paying for your sins, for forgiving you of any unkindness toward others, for healing you from the injuries and injustices of this life.
You will thank Him for strengthening you to do the impossible, for turning your weaknesses into strengths, and for making it possible for you to live with Him and your family forever. His identity, His Atonement, and His attributes will become personal and real to you."
 
                                    --Russell M. Nelson,  January 8, 2017 





1 comment: