Wednesday, November 27, 2019

She Needed Surgery

I had too great of an induced nap this afternoon; I'm writing this at 2:17 AM.


I was able to erase some crazy anxiety and frustrations about my treatments which I've dealt with ever since arriving in DFW.  I had surgery today to remove my despised and degraded old mediport and replace it with a sparkling new, accepted POWER PORT.  I am now in the club. [Fingers crossed!]

The whole thing went pretty well today. It started off with a good omen: my mom was able to drive me and give support, prayer, and love.  What a blessing.



We did have so wait later than my scheduled time, but that ensured that no one would call "cancelectomy," since I technically ate breakfast and took a pill in the originally scheduled eight-hour window.  It was nice to finally move out of the waiting room, where so many people were eating, lunch AND snacks.







I did have some IV trouble, though.  Since this procedure was to remove my port, using that was, obviously,  not an option in this case.  My assigned nurse, Kim, was mostly sure she'd found a few good veins in me, but after hearing my concerns, she referred me to the "best poker in the place."  I cannot recall her name, as she was twice unsuccessful on my body.  In came Rochelle.  She took her time and got the job done.  I was grateful for the lidocaine, which I question the absence of in so many of my prior IV failed attempts.  Successful stick, CHECK.

Next, my surgeon, Dr. Birdwell, came in to go over the procedure.  We had discussed possibly replacing my port and changing positions from right to left for the new one.  I am fine with each, and he was satisfied with just waiting until investigating possible scar tissue, which might make it difficult to place a new port in the same spot.
Mom was really impressed with his persona.  I wasn't surprised.  After all, he IS an Aggie.  [For those of you who have been here since 2013, my plastic surgeon from Houston, Dr. Boutros is an Aggie.  Two Dr. B's, both Former Students of my school.  Can't got wrong with that.  [There was also a student who I allowed to watch in on my surgery.  She is a Red Raider.  I'll allow it.]

Then came the Family Business.  My anesthesiologist came in to question me.  He promised to let me have a great nap and glossed over my breakfast, since my husband is a CRNA.  He also hooked me up with a Scope Patch, for my nausea.  Versed's on board.  Ready to go!



Suddenly, people were waking me up and asking me to drink cranberry juice.  I wasn't quite ready to give up that deep sleep and warm blankets, but all good things must come to an end.  Dr. Birdwell came to visit Mom in the waiting room, praising me as "healthy."  [HA, except for that cancer and borderline obesity!] He was able to add a new Power Port to my right side, eliminating the need for a different scar.

We made it home quicker than expected, and I recovered fairly well from the whole thing, after some food, of course!  The fresh scar does not seem to be painful today, but the tube placement in my neck is giving me problems.  It feels like a pulled muscle--hard to turn my head from side-to side without discomfort.  Also the Tylenol-3's don't cut it.  Stephen actually questioned what I was thinking, even picking those up from the pharmacy!  And, just when I told my pain doc that I didn't need such a high amount of Hydrocodones!

I'm grateful this is done.  I'm grateful I feel better today.  My voice seems to be returning to normal after what seemed to be a combo of allergies, sore throat, cough, and sneezing.  Perhaps I can cut out much of the chastisement I have received about my old port, and we can all just start getting along! We're going to need to, as we go into another battle in this war.  

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment