Saturday, February 9, 2013

Life | Art



I have some amazingly talented friends!  There are so many ways that people have already given so much service to me and my family, and it has been so touching and powerful to witness people using their individual talents to serve. 

One of my friends--Amber H.--is a talented photographer.  She had the idea to document this breast cancer journey as art, an intimate expression of the experience.  I LOVE pictures and love documenting things, so I jumped on the chance to tell the story without being forced to use a thousand words.

For the first session, Amber asked me to give her a few words that described how I was feeling within the first week of my diagnosis.  This was my response:  shocked, overwhelmed, comforted, strengthened, positive, loved.  From there, we basically tried to show those emotions and tell the story through the photos. 

This was a stretch for me, as I've never been much of an actor, and trying to pose with an emotion wasn't the easiest thing for me.  This was done after my big breakdown, and I think I had cried so much that I had no more tears. 

The stress, sadness, fear, and shock is definitely a huge part of the journey.  It's hard to deal with everything some days. 



But, I'm constantly reminded of the love and support I have, as well as my many blessings, faith, and the importance of having a positive attitude about it all. 




It will be interesting to see the art that continues to be made out of this small journey of my life.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to documenta your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What special way to offer you service, and a beautiful opportunity. I love that first one of you with your head down, and so sweet to see you wrapped in your chemo blanket.

    ReplyDelete