Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesdays with Naqvi 3--In the Storm

3 rounds of Paclitaxel down.....9 to go. 

I didn't do a lot of deep pondering today or get very far on my reading goals during chemo, but I laughed, snacked, and had a lot of time to catch up with a friend.  Amber and I have known each other for over 20 years.  Crazy!!!  I'm so glad she was able to make it down for this trip that was planned B.C.  Too bad the fun of the originally planned trip was interrupted a bit by this darn chemo.  We were able to squeeze in a few fun things and plenty a fair amount of chips and queso and a few appointments with Dr. Pepper.    


 I got to try out my new chemo shoes and the awesome neck pillow---{not pictured.}


Amber was hoping to get away from the wintry weather of Utah's storms.  She came down to windy, chilly, rainy weather--not much of a reprieve.  We kept asking, "are these storms ever going to stop?  Will we get ONE day without rain?"  In relation to this question, one thought I've had in my weekly studies, still on Faith, was about another analogy to this chemo trial.  I've thought about this time as one of life's tempests, being stuck in a storm.  Difficult times are stormy, as if we are caught in the midst of dark clouds, heavy wind, soaking rain, and sailing on troubled waters.  As I read some conference talks given to be by my mom for pick-me-ups and on faith/trusting in the Lord during this trial, I found a few references to being In the Storm:

Jeffrey R. Holland talked of "God's love and the Savior's power to calm the storm.  Always remember that in that biblical story that He was out there on the water also, that He faced the worst of it right along with the newest and youngest and most fearful.  Only one who has fought against those ominous waves is justified in telling us--as well as the sea--to "be still." {Mark 4:39} Only one who has taken the full brunt of such adversity could ever be justified in telling us in such times to "be of good cheer."  {John 16:33}

I know these stories, having heard them a hundred times, but what a different perspective to truly think about Christ being on the ship in the same storm as his disciples.  He was in the worst of it with them, not worried--sleeping even--knowing things would pass.  But, when the storm and the tempest became too rough for his friends to bear, He stepped forward and eased the storm.  As He was with the disciples in their storm, He is with us in our dark and stormy nights of life.  He has not only experienced the fear and weathered the storm--he can see the light on the other side and can calm the winds and the waves.

Richard G. Scott spoke about trusting in the Lord and mentioned something that spoke to me of being in the storm and seeing the silver linings that promise of calm and bright days ahead.  "[The Lord] will place in your paths packets of spiritual sunlight to brighten your way.  They often come after the trial has been the greatest, as evidence of the compassion and love of an all-knowing Father.  They point the way to greater happiness, more understanding, and strengthen your determination to accept and be obedient to His will."

Packets of spiritual sunlight.  I love the image those words place in my mind of the streams of light breaking though the darkest of skies, of small openings of sunshine piercing through the thickest of storm clouds.  At those times of the heaviest storms, we are often buoyed up and given some tender mercies on which to hold as we forge ahead.

And from where does this light come?
  
Elder Holland continued, "There really is light at the end of the tunnel.  It is the Light of the World, the Bright and Morning Star, the "light that is endless, that can never be darkened."  It is the very Son of God Himself....To any who may be struggling to see that light and find that hope, I say: Hold on.  Keep trying .  God loves you.  Things will improve." 

Amen, Amen.  Hold on through the storm.  The Light will come. 


Until next week, I'll be looking for those packets of spiritual light through the storm clouds of my life.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry I haven't reached out to you yet... I want you to know that you have been in my thoughts and in our prayers constantly since the moment i found out. I am so sad that you are facing such a difficult battle. I have no doubts that you will fight this. You inspire me. I love you Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad those slippers turned out cute. Amber was telling me about them, and I just couldn't picture them. We wanted to get you something to "be with you" every time you have chemo, for all those times we can't be there in person. So glad she was with you this past weekend, and at your chemo appointment. It'll be my turn soon! :) Looking forward to spending a few days with you. I'll let you know when I finalize a flight.

    ReplyDelete