Thursday, February 9, 2017

BTHO Breast Cancer Game

Each season, the Aggie Women's Basketball Team hosts a BTHO Breast Cancer game.  Ever since we moved back to BCS, I've seen people wearing the t-shirts and have wanted to attend.  (I've even wanted to try to buy past years' shirts because they are always so well done!)

This year's game happened to fall right around the time of my latest diagnosis.  I already had tickets for the boys and I to go because it's been on my list for years and this year I was going to get to go out on the court at half time with Pink Alliance!  

Fast forward to the actual day of the game.  Finding cancer on Friday, the 3rd.  A small reprieve over the weekend, thanks for steroids and other drugs, starting radiation the day before and the drugs not able to help the symptoms enough to stop throwing up, nausea, unsteadiness....I wasn't doing well.  However, I was asked to be a guest coach for the game, complete with an all-access pass and tour before the game.  If I was well enough to stand, we were going to the game.  I wanted to make that memory with Stephen and the boys!  

We toured the facilities, tried on championship rings, sat in coaches' offices.  Then, came the big surprise.  We got to attend the pre-game team meeting!  I was so impressed listening to the coaches go over game strategies, but the majority of the theme was about the purpose of the game.  "We play for something bigger than ourselves.  This game is not about us---it's about all those survivors and their families.  We play for community and to make a difference in people's lives."  Then, it was MY turn!  I have no idea what I said or how I even stood up there without feeling or getting sick, but it was pretty cool.  





Then, before the game, they called our family up to introduce us!  


What a special night and great memories of the Sprit of Aggieland, still strong!!!  


2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I had no idea you did that and made it through. What a great experience for you and your family. It is something your family will always remember! BTHO breast cancer!!!!

    ReplyDelete