Saturday, February 25, 2017

Rock the 'Hawk

One major side effect I was promised before radiation began was hair loss.  Again.  "You'll lose all your hair, and it might not grow back."  

Well, suck.  

This last time, I've TOTALLY babied by hair, and it was SOOOOOOOO close to growing out to the exact style I wanted, plus thick and healthy and strong.  OH, well.  Just hair, right?

I did talk to the techs who gave me SOME hope, that not EVERYONE completely loses all their hair and some people do see it grow back.  You just never know.  They also couldn't promise me exactly when it would fall out.  The closest answer was, "Sometime after the last treatment ends."

So, this was the week to do something.  And, by Thursday, it was coming out on its own.  My scalp kind of feels like it's sunburned, from radiation, I assume.  So, as I was trying to massage my head and ease some of that discomfort while watching tv, this started happening, too:



Thank goodness I had an appointment for Friday.  


My friend, Jenn, met me for fun and emotional support.  I also brought my wig to be styled, since there's a chance I might never have to color/cut my own bald head again!



Still with some optimism that it might not be gone forever, we decided to go with a faux hawk because that top part is the HARDEST and LONGEST thing to have to try to grow out!!!!


Just a bit of a pile on the floor!!



 There is goes, again.  For me, by the third head shave, there was no sadness, no tears.  Just another step in the process.





Wig time!!! 



I am so grateful for this girl.  When we moved to College Station, I was feeling like I needed to lose the platinum and start going back to "me."  I just happened to sit in her chair, and she's been such a part of this journey ever since.  It's amazing how great good hair can feel and how poorly the opposite can be.  Being forced to choice the sad choice has been so much better with her there to help.   Much love!



"Burg-a-lar"
(a nickname with a LOOOOOOOONG story!)


The boys all told me that it looks weird and that I look like a boy.  "But, you're still pretty, Mom.  I like your eyes."  



Boy-ish or not, time to rock what I got! 

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! And the wig looks amazing too! I love how it is styled

    ReplyDelete