Tuesday, February 28, 2017

H&P #19 + Leave it to Fleener

We are back on regularly scheduled appointments with Dr. Fleener and for the once every 3 weeks treatment of Herceptin and Perjeta.  
Before my treatment today, I met with Dr. Fleener, who is still optimistic that radiation will melt and shrink the tumors from my brain and put me back in a state of remission.  "I don't want to blow smoke at you, but I have that hope, one, because I choose to, and also because so far your cancer has been so sensitive to treatment, that it makes sense that would continue.  Plus, you responded so well with your symptoms, so quickly, that gives me great hope, too." 

Now, we go back to treating the rest of my body and hoping that I'll be back on the longer end of the time frame.  

She told me that she and Dr. Goble presented my case at a conference, along with another one from the area, and that she has also been researching alternative options for future treatment, plus clinical studies.  There is an option to have a port in my head and treat the brain directly with Herceptin.  Dr. Fleener feels that my having HER2+ can be a good thing, in this case, because these drugs have done so well at keep cancer out in the rest of my body.  "Before these drugs, we were having patients die of  lung or liver metastasis, but now that H&P have done such wonders on patients, they are seeing more of the cancer show up in the brain, which stimulates studies and clinical trials." 
She also wanted to tell me that she's seen my name all around town and how great this community is for rallying around families like mine.  

Finally, I asked about my MRI results, which included a small blip about modeling on the cervical spine, which is suspicious for bone mets, but Dr. Fleener thinks it was residual.  "Plus, the radiation most likely got that, as the upper spine is within the treatment area.  

In leaving, she reminded me how much her staff has been thinking about me, praying for me, and loves that I'm doing better.  "I was SO glad and relieved when Dr. Goble told me how much better your symptoms are and how much better you're feeling.  That, alone, shows that radiation has worked on some levels.  That's in part because of you and your strength, so keep it up!"


As I continue to walk this journey, there are still the pulls to ask, "WHY?"  Instead of dwelling on that, I'm one to just ask, "What I can do now?"  And, I do something each day to make memories or set up plans--just in case---something happens again quickly.  I don't know if I'm meant to become a miracle or simply just to press forward in faith and inspire others to endure their own trials with a happy heart and unbreakable faith.  

I came across this quote a few days ago, which may have been an answer to prayers.  


 Cancer is a heavy mountain to carry...or push...but I'm ready to continue in the battle and, like Dr. Fleener, choose to have hope.



1 comment:

  1. You are so amazing, Mel! Your smile and positive outlook are a shining example of President Nelson's talk on Joy and Spiritual Survival. I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that your doctor has hope. At my last check, there wasn't much of that going around. We continue to pray for you and your family. Keep going strong, Beautiful! You ARE a miracle, no matter what happens next. Hugs! -Amber

    ReplyDelete