Thursday, May 19, 2022

Thursdays with Tafur

 


Thursdays at the clinic are always packed, as that is the day that Tafur travels here from Lubbock.  This usually means that my wait time will be substantial, even if my only schedule is to meet with the oncologist.  I came prepared to wait today, as always.  


I was finally called back to another waiting room and the nurse came to check my vitals and be sure that my file was up-to-date.  I was also instructed to don the fabulous paper top, open to the front.  
Surpisingly, shortly after I was undressed and dressed in fabulous paper, Dr. Tafur and his nurse, Toni, were there.  


He was nothing but the best of news.  As I already knew, the CT scan was glowing with positive findings. Everything is stable, and stable is good.  
We will check the brain with an MRI in a month or so.  
My ECHO was also much improved from the last time.  My heart is getting stronger. 
He listened to my lungs and checked for any sore spots in my chest/back areas.  

"Do you have any questions for me?"
The only one I had prepared was "is there anything I can do to help my hair grow?"
"Not really, unfortunately.  I will write you a prescription for a wig, however."

Toni also knows a patient with an amazing wig collection, and she asked permission to share my number in order for her to contact me with more info. 

That was it.  All that waiting for 7 minutes (if that) with the doc.  
As he walked out the door, I jokingly commented: 
"You're welcome for a short and sweet visit, so you can gain time for today's more lengthy appointments."
He stopped, turned to look back in the room at me and said with a smile:
"Not just short and sweet.  This news is SUPER SWEET!"

There you have it.  Hearing that all was Super Sweet with me-for this day, anyway-had me walking the cancer journey with a smile and holding on to this merciful moment."






No comments:

Post a Comment