Tuesday, October 6, 2015

EGD--non-sedated

I went against the family business today.  I have learned for myself, yet again, that when you are asked if you want to be sedated for a procedure, the correct response is.....YES!

Yesterday, I had finally reached the point of pain level when it was time to call the doctor.  Dr. Fleener was completely booked, but when I spoke with the nurse about my symptoms: a constant pain worsening over the last 5 days, difficulty swallowing, difficult eating, pain down in the lower part of my esophagus, but also higher up---they suggested I see a Primary Care Physician to rule out infections, since I'm scheduled for chemo next week.  (This pain is a somewhat common side effect of both radiation and chemo, but it should improve, especially since this is the last week of my chemo cycle.  This was another concerning factor.)

I was able to make an appointment for the same day with a new doctor, since up to this point I did not have a PCP.  She did a strep test (negative) and also started me on meds for possible thrush, since treating this and not having it wouldn't be a problem, but having it and treating it ASAP would only help.  She also put in a STAT order for me to be scoped, since that would be the only real way to take a look at the lower part of my esophagus.  I was quite impressed with how kind, thorough, and concerned she was for me and my personal situation.  

Later that day, I was scheduled for an appointment with a gastroenterologist.  (I was told to call my PCP's office if they didn't call by the next morning, so this was already looking positive.)  I went to my appointment at 11:30, and met another kind and thorough doctor.  His overall impression was that my symptoms weren't matching up with my experience.  In other words, this should've cleared up a long time ago if it was from the radiation.  Unfortunately, today was his last day before vacation, so he really wanted to to an EGD later that day.  When I hesitated about having someone available to drive me home after anesthesia, he suggested that we could do the procedure non-sedated.  I chose.......poorly.  

I showed up at the hospital at 1:30 for my 2:30 appointment.  An EGD, or esophagogastroduodenoscopy, is a procedure using a "thin" scope with a light and camera at the end to look at the upper digestive tract.  Let me stress that there is a reason most people are put under sedation for this procedure.  It is not fun to experience while you are awake!  If someone offers you the drugs.......you say yes!!!!  

Anyway, I put on my hospital gown---OVER MY CLOTHES--since this would be a non-sedated thing that would only take about 5-10 minutes, and waited for the doctor to arrive.  He was done with his clinic hours early, so we rolled back to the room at 2:10.  I was given 3 sprays of a "cherry" flavored numbing medicine.  The nurse had me roll over to my side and started to explain that she would put a bite block in my mouth after I started to get sleepy until she realized, "oh, this is a non-sedated procedure!  You're not going to sleep."  (So, obviously she's MOSTLY done this with sleepy patients.  Again, another clue.)  Then, came the "thin" scope---not so thin up close.  Let me just say again that anesthesia is good!  But, it was too late for me.  



It was time to breath deeply through my nose and try not to vomit as a long, somewhat thin tube was shoved all the way down my throat.  I made it through the worst part and just closed my eyes and tried to go to my happy place.  I kept trying to swallow this thing that was already swallowed and ended up just drooling down the side of my face while tears spilled from my closed eyes, which should've been closed because of an anesthesia provider....... 

The doctor took a couple of biopsies to send to the lab and was able to get some good pictures, and then the other really bad part happened: this "thin" tube had to come back up.  And, it's a good thing I had not eaten since breakfast because lunch would've come out on that hospital bed.   


With the procedure over, I was able to speak to the doctor right away--since I was already awake--and see the pictures of my esophagus and that there was an ulcer: not at the top or the bottom, but right in the middle, where I had been pointing the whole time while explaining this pain.  So, at least there is a valid reason for my discomfort, and I'm not just crazy!  The bad news is that I have to start chemo again next week, which will make this even more difficult to heal.  And, even my radiation oncologist, which the GI spoke with, felt that this should've cleared up already.

We were back in the room by 2:30.  I changed and waited to be discharged.  As the doctor came to explain my instructions, he mentioned sending a new medicine to try.  He also said that as soon as he was able to get the results of the biopsies to me, he would.  Being on vacation might make it difficult, but he would try his best.  

As we left, he said that he would "be praying for me and thinking about me," and it looked like he got a little choked up, too.  This touched my heart and made me tear up, as well.  In two days, with two new doctors, I immediately felt cared for and loved by these humans who had never before met me.  It was, yet again, another example of how God uses others to meet our needs and let us know that we are not alone.  

And, if I ever do this again, I will not be talking to my doctor immediately after the procedure because I will be too busy waking up from anesthesia!

          

1 comment:

  1. I had a scope, with conscious sedation......it took a few nurses to hold me down. I don't remember any of it. But based on my propensity to fight back, I am a lot amazed you could do it awake!!

    ReplyDelete