Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Halfway Point PET Scan

I'm currently radioactive and must stay 3 feet away from children.  

I scheduled this PET scan on a day when Evan would be in preschool, thinking it would give me enough time for this strange radioactive material that they inject into my veins to break down and not be dangerous to others.  However, Evan has an ear infection/runny nose/cough, so no school for him!  Thankfully, a friend is in town and was able to watch him, so my scan could go on as planned.  He just was NOT happy about me not being about to hold his hand or hug him or sit by him or....or....or.  It reminded me of how bad it would have been if he had stayed home with me after my reconstruction.  My little Physical Touch child would have been in despair thinking his mom didn't love him!  Thankfully, now he's old enough to understand the value of money and of getting paid to be patient for 2 hours while we wait for Mommy to not be dangerous to touch!

I arrived early, and they started me on the injection before my scheduled time.  Again, the nurse wasn't able to get a clean IV, so she had to dig around.  Man, I HATE needles!!!  She did inform me, "in the future, your oncology nurses can access your port for us, and we can use that to inject you and we can remove it."  I begged, "is it too late to do that today???" "Unfortunately, yes."  [Information that would have been useful to me.....YESTERDAY!!!!!]  After FINALLY getting the IV going, I had to sit and wait 45 minutes for the radioactivity to be at a high enough level throughout my body.  Then, they moved me into the machine and "took pictures" for another 30 minutes.  

Another one done!  Now, to wait for results!  I hope there is good news in my future; I could really use some.    




No comments:

Post a Comment