Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Leave it to Fleener--Round Three

I started off the morning with a little sunshine! I've been heart attacked before, and this morning I was sun kissed!  Thank you to my pink warriors who helped me start the morning with a smile!  



After many tears yesterday, today is a new day.  My blood counts were high enough for chemo, and I was able to have an appointment with Dr. Fleener.  I feel MUCH better after speaking with her. Again, leave it to Fleener!  Her first analysis is that this cancer is NOT something new to worry about.  She based this opinion on my PET scans.  She reviewed those scans with me, noting that I had some lymph node activity that showed up in that general region.  At the time, cancer in the bones was the more pressing concern, so she probably glossed over the lymph node activity.  Other theories: my ulcer is most likely a side-effect of radiation, possibly aggravated by chemo or the combination of medications that I'm on.  The lymph nodes could be pushing against the esophageal wall, and even could have been in some of the tissue that was gathered in the biopsy.  I'm so glad I got in to see her today, as I feel much calmer about this.  Cancer is still scary, but hopefully, this is just more of the same.    

Dr.  Fleener could not BELIEVE I had a non-sedated scope, especially with Stephen working in anesthesia.  She spoke with Dr. Dusold this morning and agrees that I should with over to a doctor at St. Joes, and is working on getting me set up with an appointment.  Another scope, in her opinion, is not a pressing matter at this time, especially since I'm having chemo and the doctors probably want to wait until I heal up a little and my blood counts get higher.  Those doctors may even want the ulcer to heal up some and let my current medications work before scoping me again.  Dr. Fleener said that they may even get down there and decide that they don't want to biopsy me again, since they will have access to my PET scans and may agree that another biopsy at this time could do more to aggravate my healing process.  

Overall, I am grateful for another opinion on this whole thing from a doctor who knows me and has more access to information on my specific case.  I am grateful to have good care and to be able to speak up and get in with doctors.  I am glad my counts went up, and I'm healthy enough for chemo, especially since it's been difficult to eat with this ulcer.  I'm grateful for all the love, support, and sunshine from all the loves of my life.  Thank you for all you do.   


Today's cancer kicks:  




Meet Gwen:  (old school when she had blue hair, back in the day.)


3 comments:

  1. Once again, you're an amazing example of hope & strength! So grateful for Dr Fleener & her care for you AND all the "prayer warriors" on your team!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I don't ever want to be a "blue-haired ole lady", but it ooks cute on you today! Love you ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I don't ever want to be a "blue-haired ole lady", but it ooks cute on you today! Love you ❤

    ReplyDelete