Friday, October 23, 2015

Prayer

Prayer works.  It feels as if the entire world has been praying for me lately, and I have felt great blessings because of that.  

After last Monday's disheartening news, my prayer warriors jumped into action.  Friends and family spread the word that I needed some extra prayers.  Between friends and family all over the country-- and a few in various places around the world--word spread quickly.  I was told that every church in Midland, Texas, was praying for me.  (Surely one of them HAS to have the direct line to heaven, right????)  In addition, one of my dearest friends decided to rally her troops and call as many LDS temples around the world to add my name to the prayer roll.  Through the efforts of many, I'm being prayed for in 107 (out of 148) temples in 5 continents around the world.  For those not familiar with an LDS temple, during one part of the temple ceremony, those in attendance use their collective faith when they are invited to join together in prayer on behalf of those whose names are on the temple prayer roll.  Anyone can call and add the name of someone who is sick or otherwise afflicted to the prayer roll, and names remain for 2 weeks at a time.  In essence, the entire world is praying for me!

I had been crying tears of sadness, frustration, and despair on Monday, and then I was crying tears of joy and humility when I heard about all the extra love and collective voices raised to heaven for me.  Each time I pondered all of the time, energy, faith, and charity others were showing me through the simple power of prayer, I was touched beyond belief.  My emotions were close to the surface all week.  

And, I experienced a small miracle.  The 3rd round of chemo has been the easiest yet!  Between my ulcer starting to heal, the acid in my stomach being controlled, being able to eat more than broth and potatoes, I have had more energy and was less sick than the previous 2 rounds of chemo.  I was able to go to yoga/pilates.  I was able to rest when needed, but go shopping and to the park.  I had the energy to organize the boys' closets.  It was a great week after Monday.  My only complaint this time around has been a few nights of sleeplessness.  Oh, and there was one day when the EXTREME DIARRHEA I've been promised from the beginning actually decided to show up.  I'm very grateful for cars with leather seats....and that's all I have to say about that!  Not everything can go perfectly, right?  

Prayers have blessed me.  Being known and loved has strengthened me.  I am humbled and grateful beyond what I can share.  Thank you to all those who have taken their time and faith to pray for me.  Please know that I have felt strengthened and that your prayers make a difference.     




5 comments:

  1. Praying for you is a privilage. We love you and we care. My sister, Chrystal, cares so much. Love and prayers to you from Utah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you is a privilage. We love you and we care. My sister, Chrystal, cares so much. Love and prayers to you from Utah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you Mel! I loved Chrystal's idea and had to help somehow. I have such a strong testimony of the power of prayer and this opportunity helped strengthen it even more. I'm so glad you could feel those prayers working work you in your time of sorrow. So many people throughout the world praying for your health and strength, such an amazing thought. I hope you continue to feel the love of the Savior and those praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling better. Prayer really does work!!! And don't worry about your name being on every Temple prayer roll. As I have been working in the office at the Temple here I have learned that if your name is on the roll at ANY temple you are being prayed for in EVERY temple! So in essence, your name IS at every Temple😊 Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are not question marks. Not sure why it printed out that way.

    ReplyDelete