Thursday, October 15, 2015

Goble This Cancer & Derbes Knows Best

I had the chance to meet with Dr. Goble on Tuesday.  He agreed with Dr. Fleener about the small possibility that I have a new cancer in my esophagus.

"I don't want to be overly optimistic," he said, "but it is much more possible that these "atypical cells" are cells that have been radiated and are still in the midst of the healing process than are actually new cancer cells.  It does not seem highly possible that you have esophageal cancer because of your age and the fact that you don't have a high family risk or lifestyle factors.  It is unusual that it has taken this long to heal after radiation, but you did start chemotherapy the week after you completed radiation."

Dr. Goble suggested setting up another opinion with a GI doctor, but did not recommend another biopsy.  His advice was to wait and try to let the medicines work on healing my ulcer and to not worry about another scope at this point.


Yesterday, I met with Dr. Derbes, a GI.  He agreed with the other doctors and suggested waiting to let my ulcer heal before doing any kind of scope.  In fact, we might not even do a scope, as long as things heal up well.  If there was an infection or other concern, he would possibly check things out, but either way, we are going to wait several weeks to make a decision.

I definitely feel much better after getting more opinions from different doctors!


I will also be having another PET scan before my next chemo, which is a question I've been asked by several people.  That way, we will get a look at how the chemo is working at the half-way point.

Thanks for the prayers and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment