Thursday, September 8, 2022

4: Abdominal Ultrasound + Brain Radiation

 


When I found out about the emergency abdominal ultrasound added to today's radiation appointment, I was tempted to cancel that mess.  I really didn't want to get up an hour earlier or ask Dana to do the same to drive me to it.  I had already canceled once before, and I knew they'd keep calling me.....they'd keep calling me.....,so I agreed to confirm. 

I was a few minutes late because I forgot that the scan was in another part of the hospital, but it was fine.  However, the scan itself took a lot out of me.  First, I was NPO, which means I couldn't eat or drink or take my meds.  (Those instructions brought me down and out of my normal routine). Next, stripping down to the nude, with only a robe on top was not my cup of tea, especially in a freezing cold exam room.  I had to beg for a warm blanket for my bare legs and feet, as I was turned down on the first inquiry because she "couldn't put a blanket on you because I'm going to be scanning your whole abdomen."  Let's just say, that tech was not the most friendly.  Maybe it was just that she hadn't had her morning coffee?

The scan was LONG.  About 2/3 of the way through the tech says, "that's weird!."  Thinking she was commenting about something in my abdomen, I asked, "what?'.  Her machine froze and she had to restart the thing, hoping that it wouldn't erase everything she had already scanned. Thankfully, a little refresh, and we were good to go.  She warmed up toward the end of the appointment, but the room did not, and the scan took a lot out of me.  

I still had the radiation to go.  

I was 30 minutes late from that and quite drained, but got a snack, some water, and my meds, and things were starting to look up.  Thankfully, I have some wonderful, caring techs for that.  They let me take my time to eat, drink,  and be medicated.  

Soon after it started, another day was over.  

Baby steps to another hectic day of scans in Lubbock tomorrow and then finishing up the radiation days next week.  

One step at a time..

No comments:

Post a Comment