Thursday, September 3, 2015

Days After Chemo #1

All my prayer warriors out there must be working overtime!   I keep waiting for the bad stuff to start, but you would hardly know I even had chemo this week!  No diarrhea, no nausea, no crazy fatigue....it's incredible.  I hope this isn't just building me up with false hope, but I am grateful for all the good days I can get.  I still have pain and fatigue, a combination of the same back pain I've felt since this cancer came back to attack my spine, and a tired feeling from chemo and all the drugs I take to keep the negative side effects at bay.  I am hopeful that this first week of chemo hasn't taken me down.

The influx of information on the first day of chemo was overwhelming.  I probably should have been taking notes on all the things to remember and what to look for.  Basically, I just have to be on top of my health and try to stay ahead of what can cause the biggest damage.  Staying hydrated, eating a healthy diet, and trying to be as active as possible should help counterbalance some of the worst side effects.  I have been trying to sip water all day long, even though my throat is still quite raw.  I've noticed that cold and hot foods are hard, as well as certain spicy foods.  I am hoping that as the effects of the radiation wear off, this raw esophagus will start to heal and make it easier to eat, drink, and take pills without difficulty in swallowing.  I was able to go to yoga yesterday, and even though I can't do everything and have to be on a modified level, I feel like some activity is better than none.  Resting when I can has also been important in helping me get through each day.  

Dehydration for diarrhea and a high fever were the most severe of side effects and those that would require a call to the doctor, day or night.  I have not come close to any of that yet, but I would not be surprised if my body gets weaker and weaker as these rounds of chemo keep building.  As of now, I am thankful for the good days I've had since the first round and that I don't have to go back for a few more weeks!!!  

Thank you for the love, prayers, and positive thoughts.  I am buoyed up by all of the support!  Much love!!!




1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear this but not completely surprised--you are tough!

    ReplyDelete