Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Angels Among Us

Many of the tender mercies we receive are because of the kindness of others.  Already I have been so blessed by the outpouring of love from those close to me, but am constantly amazed at the way that trials and suffering can connect us, even when we are strangers.  Our experiences do not have to be exactly the same for us to learn empathy and to mourn with those who mourn and comfort those who stand in need of comfort.

This box of "happy thoughts" was placed up in my closet when I heard those amazing words---"You're Cancer FREE!" last year.  I had kept it open as a place to keep all the cards and kind words of encouragement when I was fighting the first round.  I pulled it out again and have already added more cards and uplifting words.  Thank you to those friends that have offered uplifting words and to the anonymous letter from a caring 9 yr-old.  I have a feeling I'm going to need a bigger box!



We experienced the first of what I'm sure will be many blessings from the kindness of strangers last weekend.  On Saturday night, Stephen and I were able to got out on a date.  We went to a movie and zoned out.  It was much easier to get lost in the tension of whether or not Ethan Hunt will complete another impossible mission rather than focusing on cancer.  Afterwards, we went to the Outback to get a few appetizers and talk.  Of course, we were crying over our wings and tuna.....and cheese fries, coconut shrimp, and Dr. Pepper.  (I have cancer......do I REALLY need to go without fatty foods and my favorite soda?)  It started to get late, and I think our server was ready to close out her section and go home.  She kept coming by to ask if we were alright (not really) or needed anything else (a new body?).  I joked that everyone must think we are breaking up!  She brought the check and came by a few times, saying she could take it whenever we were ready (hint, hint....give me the check so I can go home!!) A few minutes later, she returned, put down a ripped up credit card receipt and this note:


Stephen had written a note with his tip, telling her sorry that we took so long and we were not trying to be rude, by we had just found out that I had stage 4 breast cancer.  She told us that she believed in the power of positive things and that here is one thing to get us started on the journey.  They comped our whole meal!  Thank you, Rachel F.  There is still good in the world!  I tell you, this cancer thing is far-reaching.  It allows us to be angels on earth and lift others in their times of need.

To those of you who have already given so much of your time, love, and prayers, I thank you.  To those I don't know who have been touched by reading this blog and perhaps sending it on to others, I hope my journey of faith can help you find yours.  To those who will be following along or giving service in my name or for countless others, thank you.

There are miracles all around us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment