Friday, August 21, 2015

Goble This Cancer---Day Four & Day Five

Nothing about Day 4 went as planned.  Already, I'm being taught early to have patience and learn to go with the flow.

I planned for a friend to watch the boys so Michele could drive me to treatment.  Getting everyone up, dressed, and out of the house before 8:30 is a chore in itself.  After doing that, I received the call that the radiation machines weren't working, and the technician was on his way from Houston.  Change of plans = breakfast at Chick-fil-a!!!!



That gave us time to relax, play around, and have full bellies.   


My friend mentioned that I could still bring the kids over and go and run a few errands, so we did.  When it was getting close to lunch time and we still hadn't heard from radiation, we planned to get the boys and get some lunch.  Of course, when we were almost there, the call came that the machines were working.  We drove all the way back in the opposite direction and waited for me to receive treatment.

On the way, Dr. F called to check in.  She wanted to ask me personally if I wanted to meet with her next week before starting chemo, or if another appointment was just a pain.  {She gets me!}  I was able to ask a few questions: When will I lose my hair?  Day 15, 16, 17.  So, I have to get going on planning my head shaving party!  I also WILL have some nausea meds and steroids to help my body take on the chemo.  Since I was on my way to radiation anyway, Dr. Fleener just asked if I could stop by after and get set up with my packet of chemo information.

Radiation was fine, but I wasn't feeling great.  I think it was a mixture of fatigue and motion sickness.    I ate too much for breakfast, which I'm not used to and didn't feel like eating lunch.

Dr. Fleener's nurses showed me where I'll go for chemo and fixed me up with my folder, my calendar, information, and the names of all the nurses.  While I was waiting, I ran into people I recognized from church, and was able to have I nice chat about how terribly unfair this cancer is!  I don't think it's a coincidence that I needed a little support and love while I was waiting.  I'm not ready for this to start again, but it's happening.

All of this took longer than planned, and I was supposed to be home to meet the new cleaning service that will be taking care of our home during this.  Thankfully, Stephen was there to meet them, and I was able to get the boys and get home in order to show the ladies where things are.  {Stephen had planned to come home to take a nap.  Even his plans were upset by the events of the day!}

The boys were spending the night with Grandpa and Grandma, so Stephen and I got to have a date night and.......crazy idea.......we were in bed by 8:00 and didn't have to worry about getting up to fix a "glitch" with a movie or be bugged by kids.  It was the perfect date.

Day 5 started well.  It was so nice to sleep in and not have to worry about breakfast or kids in the morning.

Then, the nausea/motion sickness/fatigue began to set in.  I had radiation at 12:30, and wasn't feeling well at all.  It was all I could do to make it home and grab a bucket before the first vomit of Cancer 2.0 happened.   This is the "real" of this blog.  It's not all smiley and happy.  Sometimes you vomit and cry and your mascara runs down your face, and all you want to do is stay in bed all day and watch Project Runway and HGTV even though you have to be a mom.

We might be having cereal for dinner.





At least I'm halfway done, and I don't have to do this again for 2 more days.  

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you have to go through this. Checking your blog everyday for updates and hoping things go well. You throw the best parties so even this head shaving party is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete