Thursday, August 6, 2015

Radiation Oncologist

On Wednesday morning, I had my first appointment with a radiation oncologist.  This was something completely new to me, as I never went the radiation route the first time around.

After turning in the small novel of paperwork, I met the wonderful nurses, who were very sweet and personable.  The doctor was also kind.  However, the PET scan report wasn't in, so I was disappointed with the overall appointment.  I felt like it was almost a waste of time because I don't know much more than I did last week without the report from the latest scan.

We talked about plans in probabilities.  IF the cancer is just in my bones, it's something that is quite frequent, and they deal with it all the time.  MOST LIKELY I will have localized radiation for 3-4 weeks, 5 days a week, but that depends on the findings from the report.  More than likely, I won't have too many negative side effects from the radiation.  My skin will have minimal damage, and most people only complain of fatigue.  IF cancer is all over my body, radiation isn't as effective.  They are most effective in localization, and he predicts they will focus on my back--around the areas in my Thoracic that are also the sites of my fractures.  This will help with pain and also on prevention of the spread of cancer and on preventing further potential fractures.  

He suggested that I see a neurosurgeon for a consultation on possible bone strengthening measures.  This is contradictory to what my pain doc said about his discussion with the head radiologist who compiled the report on my MRI.

 I was able to see the pictures from my MRI, especially the large, dark, cancerous spots on the vertebrae with fractures.  Again, I kept thinking about how thankful I am that I fell and was able to catch this before it got completely out of control.

Overall, I came away with the feeling of needing more--more information, more answers, more of a plan.  It looks like I will have to wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment